We get it. Thor’s Hammer is a fancy name for, well, soup shank. It’s true. That’s what this is. But so many times in cooking, the method makes all the difference in the finished product.
Cooking a common cut of beef in this way relaxes all of the connective tissue and lets the incredible beef flavor through. We have never had a cut of beef with more beef flavor than this Thor’s Hammer.
A very special thank you to Coastal Plains Meats for supplying us with this incredible cut.
- 5-5½ lb Thor’s Hammer Steak
- 1 cup Dry red wine (Cabernet, Merlot)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium Yellow onion (sliced)
- 3-4 tablespoons Louisiana Love Seasoning Blends
- Louisiana Love Potion #10 Injector Marinade
- Preheat smoker to 275˚ with a mixture of oak and fruit wood.
- Inject with Louisiana Love Potion #10 in several locations.
- Smoke for 3 hours unwrapped.
- Wrapped in foil and return to smoker for another 3 hours.
- Unwrap from foil in a skillet, being careful to reserve all juices.
- Add red wine, sliced onions and Worcestershire sauce.
- Wrap foil around steak to outside of skillet and return to smoker for additional 3 hours, or until internal temperature reads at least 199˚ on a meat thermometer.
Amazing Casian Sauce
- 2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup White Sugar
- ¾ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Honey
- 3 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana Love Extra Love to taste
- Combine all ingredients except cilantro in a sauce pan and heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add cilantro.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.