Mardi Gras Elk
When frying elk, the term we like to use is “flash frying”, which means frying at a high temperature for a short time. Cooking the elk past rare to medium-rare will result in a very tough elk steak.
Using buttermilk for a marinade adds flavor, and the enzymes in the buttermilk help to tenderize the meat.
Beef or deer can be substituted for each of these recipes.
Chicken Fried Elk Poboys:
- 1 quart Buttermilk (low fat)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Louisiana Love Seasoning Blends
- 2 lbs Elk cutlets (tenderized)
- 3+ cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ gallon Canola or vegetable oil
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 3-4 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- Louisiana Love Seasoning Blends to taste
- Poboy buns
- Sharp Cheddar, or similar cheese (sliced)
- Cole slaw blend
In a large bowl place, the buttermilk, egg, and Louisiana Love whisking all together.
Add the elk and allow to marinade for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Blend 2-3 tablespoons of Louisiana Love into the flour.
Roughly chop chipotles.
Whisk together cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chipotles, and Louisiana Love to taste.
Heat to oil to 400°F.
Dredge each cutlet in the seasoned flour, shake off excess, and fry until golden, about 2-3 minutes.
Remove cutlets to a wire rack and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Chop cutlets into ½” cubes.
Toast poboy buns, dress with cream cheese mixture, add cutlet pieces, and cole slaw.
Cheese Stuffed Elk Burgers:
- 2 lbs Ground elk/pork (50/50)
- 1 egg
- Louisiana Love Seasoning Blends
- 8 ounces Gouda, or other soft cheese (shredded)
- 8 ounces Baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ cup Dry white wine
- Onion rolls
- Cream cheese-Chipotle dressing
- Broccoli slaw
Combine elk, egg, and seasoning until blended.
Form into 4-ounce patties.
Sauté mushrooms in olive oil until soft and deglaze with wine, cooking until almost all of the wine is evaporated.
Place 1 ounce of cheese on one patty and cover with another patty making sure to seal the edges all around.
Grill until a minimum internal temperature of 145°.
Toast buns and dress with cream cheese-chipotle mixture, broccoli slaw, and mushrooms.